Yup, we did it. We just packed our bags and we eloped …kinda.
The way that we got married was the perfect representation of our relationship thus far (and I’m not just referring to the copious amounts of booze!)
I’ve been planning my ‘Dream Day’ since I learned the melody to the Wedding March. Better yet, since I could pronounce the word ‘tulle’.
I’ve come from planning a grand castle ceremony, complete with Princess Diana’s golden carriage, to a city themed rooftop reception with the cityscape as our backdrop.
When Kolter proposed to me in December, absolutely none of my original plans mattered anymore.
One lesson that my mother has drilled into my head from a young age has been, anything that comes easily can also escape from you easily. Things that you have to buss your ass for and earn, are yours forever.
That has been the definition of our relationship thus far!
All About That Chase
Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner
No one has ‘Jungle Fever’
Timing is Everything
Here’s the Part Where We Eloped
I know you did not scroll through the entire post…. go back up and read it through! I’ll wait…
Anything that comes easily will also escape from you easily. Things that you have to buss your ass for and earn, are yours forever.
We busted our asses. Our engagement was confirmation that we earned each other and we would be each others’ forever. (yes it sounds fucking corny. No, I’m not sorry).
I’m not naive, I know that there is a whole new world of challenges waiting for us as a married couple, but the last thing that either of us wanted was to have our wedding be one of those challenges.
Within a week of our engagement we both decided that we’d have a civil ceremony at Toronto City Hall, complete with our nuclear families and closest friends as witnesses.
Without our families knowing we applied for our marriage license, booked city hall, and purchased our wedding bands.
On Christmas eve I called my mother and told her to clear her schedule for January 3rd – Going To City Haaaall and We’re Gonna Get Maaaaaarried!
Beautiful thing about a holiday elopement – no lineups and loads of deals! We managed to book a 2-night stay at a luxurious downtown hotel for a quarter of the regular price of a single night! Somehow Kolter even managed to upgrade our room, for free! We also got a prime time slot for our ceremony!
- My best friend whom I’ve known since Junior Kindergarten sang us down the aisle
- We remixed the lyrics of our favourite Beyonce song to be sung – ‘Please Marry Me’, instead of ‘make love to me’ …cause that would be pretty damn awkward in front of our parents
- Two very close and long time friends captured the photography, beautifully
- We walked down the aisle hand-in-hand, without anyone claiming to give either of us ‘away’
- and I read a Bible verse from my iPhone since there were no Bibles in the building…
- Tulle Skirt | Space 46 Boutique = Birthday gift from my sister (who woulda thunk?)
- Body Suit | American Apparel = $45
- Blusher/Birdcage/Headpiece-ma-bob = Borrowed from Mother
- Shoes | Aldo = Purchased back in university
- Hair | Beauty By Bennett = Free (Bennett is my sister! neuuhhhh! =P )
- Mani + Pedi | Michele Le’s = $70
- Makeup = $50
- Accessories = Gift from Mother
- Bouquet = Borrowed from Sister
- Misc | double sided tape, lingerie = $25
- Suit | Valentino – Purchased in 2013
- Shoes | Allen Edmond = Purchased in 2012
- Bowtie | Brooks Brothers = $39 (on sale!)
- Cufflinks | Burberry = $40 (off Kijiji!)
- French Cuff Shirt | Michael Kors = $49 (on sale!)
- Haircut & Shave = $65
- Misc |Tailoring = $18
Side note: Kolter is a shopping ninja. It’s completely unfair.
He’s always able to find amazing deals, without ever haggling, couponing or even tracking sales. He’s just really patient and lucky!
- Wedding License = $140
- Civil Ceremony = $246
- Photographers = $90 (Gift from Our Friends)
- Singer = Gift from Our Friend
- Hotel Room = $183 (for both nights! Almost a quarter of the regular cost!)
- Ring Barer Pillow = Borrowed from my Mom
Grand Total Wedding Costs : $1,060 (excluding rings)
Average Wedding Cost: 26,984 (excluding the honeymoon)
THE PERFECT DAY!